Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mixed Tape Track 6 - Lucky Soul


It's been a bit of a harrowing week. There has been a lot of sadness and indecision in the world of the gypsy, and with the arrival of the weekend (and the sun), things have certainly gotten better, but traces of the week's melancholy remain. This sombre mood has of course resulted in a solemn playlist. And so, a sad addition to our mixed tape...


This track comes from my latest obsession, Lucky Soul. A London band, I was fortunate to catch the launch of their second album at Cargo in April. I was properly impressed. A polished performance by a band that still retained a sense of wonder at having some of the crowd sing along with them. Lead singer Ali Howard has an abundance of charm to go with her little girls voice, and was somewhat Debbie Harry's debutante sister - Debutante Harry if you will.

Generally their music is pretty upbeat and cheerful, so the plaintive Baby I'm Broke might not be the best introduction to Lucky Soul, and I will attempt to post a few more of my favourites when a little cheerier, but for now...

"Baby I'm broke,
Nothing to lose,
I want you to help but, baby, you're cruel.
And talking to you,
I might as well just throw my head back and howl at the moon.
Yeah, for all the good it will do...

But baby, you're strange,
You're heart's all a flutter
You head's in the sky, but your mind's in the gutter."

No comments:

Post a Comment