Thursday, June 10, 2010

Viva Bafana Viva Africa

Double patriotism - representing all residents :)


The flags are fluttering out the windows in Isis Street. We are rolling out the patriotism for the world cup. Holding thumbs and flying flags is pretty much all we can do being so far away from home.

While the foreigners flood into SA I am envious of the immersion in our wonderful country, their experiencing of our culture, and friendliness and food. Having the world's spotlight focussed on us for a month makes me come over all patriotic, because at the moment I am seeing South Africa once more through fresh eyes. Adverts show our amazing landscapes, our sublime range of animals, our mixing pot of different ethnicities, and I find myself explaining the intricacies and anomalies of our culture to anyone who will listen.

And so tomorrow I will watch our proud, under dog team step onto an African pitch to the roar of thousands of bafana bafana fans. I will watch it on a little island in the English Channel, before attending an international music festival. And yet I know that there will have been few times when I have felt more patriotic, and indeed more South African.

"Let them bring their Mexican wave - we will bring vuvuzelas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment