Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Devil's in the Details






I love details. I find joy in seeing the small things that were put there as a gift by someone who also appreciates the little things, or the little anomalies that occur in nature.
My mum recently went to Bruges (according to her, we should all go there as soon as, but take lots of money). As well as dreamy Belgian chocolates she brought me a lovely little treasure - a lace umbrella. Belgium is famous for its lace, and you can see why. Their lace is so intricate, so delicate its hard to imagine the patience taken to make it, which is even more amazing given the fast paced nature of our society. I barely have the time to sew on a button I am so busy commuting, computing, consuming, communicating...and here are people for whom pain staking perfection is a livelyhood and an art form.
Its just so easy to let all the machinations of daily life distract you from so much else, particularly thought. Its not necessary to live with that mild feeling of harrasment at all times, but so many of us do. I think it may very well be a big city thing...The rushing, the distraction of media and advertising, the impersonal nature of public transport, the desperate need to get home to a space that is yours. But lately I have been trying to take pleasure in the commute and find the little things - the unusual grafitti that flies past me on the train, people wearing mismatched socks, someone reading the same book as me, a girl still wearing a petticoat in this day and age...
Have you seen any details you usually miss lately...if so I wanna know. Post me some details here!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such gorgeous comments! As for that pattern, you could try patternreview.com or I think there is a pattern wiki (would you believe) and perhaps there's more info on it? My friend has lent me hers, so unfortunately I don't really know anything but what I wrote up on my blog... Sorry!

    You take care now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gypsy-Lady ;)
    The commute to work each day is my favourite part of the day (in fact, I take a specific bus to work... it takes the longest, most round-about route, but it is, by far, the most scenic!)
    I see many small things that make me smile here in NZ... The best, so far (in my opinion) being "Crochet Grafitti"...
    Little pink woolen flowers on green woolen threads wrapped around streetpoles... Tiny red hearts along criss-cross fences... (it's non-destructive, yet thought provoking!)
    The time and effort that goes into doing something like that! The creators knowing full well that it will make someone (at least one person) smile... I would say the world needs more people like that, but we actually need more detail seekers... Not many people actually notice what's around them (let alone appreciates it)...I have learnt this from the bus full of strangers I share each sunrise with. They sit, numb, like zombies. Staring vaguely out the window... but not actually SEEING the beauty that is right in front of them.

    ReplyDelete