Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mixed Tape Track 5 -The songs you picked are dreamy


I seem to be experiencing a bit of bloggers block this week. I have scraps of paper with stubs of prose all over the place, and yet I am unable to complete any of them. My mind is filled with a myriad of half baked thoughts, none of which are capable of producing a coherent idea it seems - well, at least not worthy of you dear readers.


The last few months seem to have been lived at break neck speed, turning my life into an avalanche of experience and emotion, and it seems I found it easy to pluck subject matter out of that toss and tumble. As the everday comes into clearer focus, however, it seems it is losing its dreamy haze and once more looking a little too much like real life. Unfortunately, I have always performed better under pressure (serial procrastinator), and apparently this is also true of my leisure pursuits. So you better hope things get more interesting quickly over here - might pick up the quality here guys.

For inspiration I am turning to my Mixed Tape track. In her track Last Time I Saw Richard Joni Mitchell manages to capture the dream like quality of things remembered, and the resonance of final conversations and confrontations. She paints a mudane picture, and yet at its heart manages to establish a truth about herself and Richard. Amazing. Her lyrics so effectively conjure her scene that I feel like I was there, and combined with her dreamy, dissapearing voice these words will take you away...

Last Time I Saw Richard - Joni Mitchell

"Last time I saw Richard it was Detroit in '68,
And he told me, all Romantics meet the same fate,
They end up cynical, and drunk, and boring someone in some dark cafe.
You laugh, he said, you think you're immune,
Go look at your eyes they're full of moons,
They like roses and kisses and little boys to tell you all those pretty lies."

"He put a quarter in the wurlitzer,
And he pushed two buttons and the thing began to whirl,
And a barmaid came by in fishnet stockings and a bowtie,
And said drink up now its getting on time for closing."

"Richard, you haven't really changed I said,
It's just that now you're romanticising some pain that's in your head.
You got blues in your eyes but the songs you picked are dreamy,
They sing of love so sweet, love can be so sweet."

** I cannot find an original version of this song :( - if anyone else can please post the link in comments **

No comments:

Post a Comment