Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Almost Famous - Day One, My Favourite Song

Okay, the truth is I have gotten a little lazy over here lately. I get distracted by the (lame) machinations of so called 'real' life and forget the pure joy of chronicling my random little thoughts and experiences. Sometimes thinking of something to write seems like a chore, and so to get me back into the swing of things I am taking a little tip from the lovely Steph and decide to do the 30 Days Tag challenge. Basically I have a prescribed list of topics, of a personal nature, that I am going to blog on - one post per day. So wish me luck kids...Here goes Day One:

Tiny Dancer - Elton John

My favourite song is Tiny Dancer by Elton John. My mum, a lovely lady with dubious taste in music, has long been a fan of the self proclaimed 'pink poof' and I grew up with many of his legendary lyrics floating around my home and indoctrinating me to love the ballad. However, not until I watched Almost Famous did I realise that one of his songs was in fact my favourite. I think Tiny Dancer's association with the movie is what sealed it for me. This is a film about a bunch of girls in the seventies who have let go of everything that society expected of them and followed their passion (frequently that passion led them to the beds of rockstars, but have you seen Billy Crudup and Jason lee? I'm not complaining). They wear great clothes, listen to great music, take pictures on polaroids, and call themselves BandAids. The scene on the bus, when they begin singing Tiny Dancer is one of my favourite in movie history. It's about solidarity and friendship and acceptance and its one of those moments that if you are part of it you will remember forever. When William Miller tells Penny Lane 'I have to go home' and she replies 'You are home'. I have this feeling that if I was there I would be home too. It has inspired my best friend and I to call each other Ruby Tuesday and Tangerine Tree respectively, and makes one of my greatest dreams to follow a band around for a summer...All that from a song...

As if it wasn't great enough already, Dave Grohl then bestowed his blessing on the tiny song by playing a ridiculous version on a US Talk Show. Greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment