Thursday, July 15, 2010

Elephants on Parade


One of the highlights of this here London summer that we have been having are the herd of elephants that colonised our fair city. Called the Elephant Parade it was a wildlife welfare project to benefit the Asian Elephant, who sadly is very seriously endangered.

Over 250 elephant sculptures, decorated in a variety of ways by everyone from famous designers to children, were displayed around London, outdoors, in areas where Londoners and tourists could actually interact with them. They were richly designed and beautifully decorated and they really became a part of the cityscape. Children climbed on them, at lunch time we sat on their plinths and ate our sandwiches, at time I orientated myself by them, and whenever I was in an unfamiliar area I found myself having a little hunt for a new one I hadn't seen before.

The process was that they were among us for a few months, and then they were removed away to a field and auctioned off to the highest bidder, having raised funds and awareness. And alas now they have been taken off to their new homes and London is left feeling rather forlorn as we wander past the spaces the colourful beasts once filled.

2 comments:

  1. I'd heard about this, I'm quite saddened by the fact they've gone. Would have enjoyed hunting some out on my trip to London next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lady Steph! Sorry that you didn't get to see our ellies, but I hope yo had a good time anyway lady? What did you get up to? I am always up for new things to do :)

    ReplyDelete