Friday, July 23, 2010

Weapon of Mass Distraction - Day3, My Favourite TV Programme


Choosing my favourite TV programme? It's unnatural, like choosing your favourite child. I know people who scathingly deem television a 'Weapon of Mass Distraction' and point all their furniture at a fireplace instead of at the 'idiot box'. They have never heard of McDreamy, or The Stig. They have no idea that America's greatest president by far was Martin Sheen, and that the reason men are choosing to wear suits again is thanks to the smooth masculinity of Don Draper. They didn't gasp when Mr Darcy dove into the lake and came out wet shirted, or cry when the Friends left that purple apartment for the last time.

As you can see I am a real television aficionado, a follower of great (and sometimes mediocre) television. I enjoy the weekly morsels of drama and comedy that get doled out to you in hourly increments, and I love to gorge on a box set, and not move from the screen for a weekend at least. I have indulged in total and utter brain trash (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Heroes) and lauded myself for my intelligent viewing decisions (Six Feet Under, Dexter). I have learnt lessons from TV, and quoted wisdom (Yes I am one of those people). I feel passionate about this most simple, and most corrupted, of cultural products, and so I cannot choose one, but I can give you a list of shows, in no particular order, I think you should not flick past...

The Sopranos
Mad Men
True Blood
Six Feet Under
Greys Anatomy
30 Rock
Glee
That 70s Show
Two and Half Men
The West Wing
Only Fools and Horses
Gavin and Stacey
My Name is Earl
The Mighty Boosh
South Park
The IT Crowd
Dexter
Fawlty Towers

No comments:

Post a Comment