Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mixed Tape track 2 - There is a light that never goes out...





My mixed tape entry is a bit of a throwback this time! It was recently resurrected in 500 Days of Summer. I fell completely back in love with it after watching Zooey Deschanel somewhat butcher it in a lift. Morrissey is in a league of his own when it comes to arrogance but I have never been able to shake my devotion to The Smiths, and so today my nominated number is...

Track 2
This song to me is, in so many ways, and adolescent cliche. It's all angsty, and 'you and me against the world' and yet when you hear that dark, humorous declaration of a chorus,
"And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege, is mine"

you just forgive them for being those whiny, typical post adolescents, because those sweetly sung satirical lines are just the right blend of romance and impertinence. I say long live the obscure declaration of love, and down with meaningless banal platitudes! Morrissey, you can write me a love song any time!


No comments:

Post a Comment