Sunday, March 28, 2010

Saturday in Southend




After the last couple of weeks of madness at work, and ongoing eye infection, it was such a treat to spend the day away. In the morning me and a few of my work favourites hopped on a train to lovely Leigh-on-sea in Essex. We began the day with cockles, still sandy and salty from the sea. Walking around the lovely Old Leigh, replete with cobbled streets and clapboard cottages. Alas, Kent had stolen the sea, but the whole place still had that sea salt scent that I haven't smelled since I left Durban - it made me quite homesick.



We moved on for fish and chips in Southend where we got to whip out the wicked 'I heart South End' pendant from Top Shop. Awesomeness - they also have a Billericay necklace too (ala Gavin Stacey)- that looks a little like the carrie necklace. It's brilliant! To walk off lunch we had a walk along the beach front where we found an abandoned boat, which we commandeered for a mortifying ammatuer photo shoot.


I haven't been to a fun fair in years. The last time I did go was on the Durban beach front, probably in the early years of high school, and South End's Adventure Island put us African types to shame. It was a total sensual over load of flashing lights, cranking machinery and overly stuffed soft toys. In an incredible show of sports womanship (a word?) I won a oversized Mario mushroom, and proved my bravery by riding the giant pink phallus of terror (pictured below) - really, amusement parks are kind of like drippy versions of Gladiators!


Also at Adventure Island I noticed the traditional Essex girl uniform. It is not compulsory, but is widely sported in the area. It is comprised of a fanta hued fake tan, tarantula like mascara, more eyeliner than I would wear to a KISS concert, and many a TopShop knock off. These girls are pretty trendy, but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing - and in the case of this seasons overwhelmingly popular floral print, there is only so many different patterns you can wear before you become a Biggie Best nightmare.

It was a day of gales of laughter, and good food and company, so many thanks to my companions and host! Viva Essex, I hope its not too long before I see you again...

3 comments:

  1. Essex!!! I used to live in Colchester <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome :) Where are you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am back in the States. I lived in Essex for a year while I got my MA in creative writing. Oh, how I miss the UK!


    www.tabayag.com

    ReplyDelete