Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This too is humanity


Somedays, humanity fails me. People seem angry and the papers are filled with stories that stink of pain, alienation and hostility. It seems that so much of what we have to see everyday in the media is just fear mongering. Let's make them scared and horrified and shocked enough, so that eventually they will no longer be able to think.

If you want to see the hope and the truth in humanity, you need to look towards the arts. It can be found in paintings and music and film and architecture and literature.

And so, when the misery and the isolation start to cloud in I look to the arts. The beautiful things I have seen, and will see. And one of them is the roof of the Palau de le Musica Catalana. I saw it when I was in Barcelona, and I was filled with wonder that someone could create something so beautiful. It was created to inspire awe, to celebrate beauty, and to celebrate art. This too is humanity. When I see it I remember that this too is humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment